The San Basilio convent was founded in the XI th century, outside the walls of the town, in a district called Casamare on the Carnale.
It was was for noble Amalfi women and was under the protection of the order of St. Benedict.
The monastery received many inheritances both in money and properties also outside the town. It owned for example also 2 other monasteries, grounds with mills at Mazzara in Sicily.
The Archbishop Giulio Rossini, with a papal decree of Pope Gregory XIII of the 25 th April 1579, transferred the nuns from 3 nunneries in the Amalfi Republic to the new Nunnery of the Holy Trinity, to give them more central accommodation.